AS A WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER, I GET TO SEE PEOPLE ON THEIR MOST BEAUTIFUL, VERY BEST DAYS. STILL, I KNOW THAT THE PLANNING CAN BE STRESSFUL AND THE MARRIAGE WILL NOT BE PERFECT. SO AS A LITTLE ADDED BONUS, I'VE COLLECTED SOME OF THE BEST ADVICE I KNOW TO SHINE SOME LIGHT ON YOUR PATH.
1. Now you're engaged, but don't stop "dating." Even after the wedding, prioritize spending special evenings together. Plan stay-cations, try new restaurants/activities/recipes together.
2. Allow the process of planning to be an experience. Think of arrangements as accomplishments and opportunities for communication, not just one more thing you HAVE to do. Include moms, bridesmaids, your favorite aunt. Let the preparation be a fun activity and excuse to spend time together.
3. If on a budget, save the honeymoon for your 1 year anniversary. Stay in a sweet little local B&B for the night, catch up on rest and let the trip have it's own glory while you soak in the memories from your wedding day.
4. Choose or change into comfortable shoes for the reception. Your feet will thank me for this one.
5. Have a role for each of your wedding party members. ie.Allison places your veil, Brooke helps with your shoes, Lauren puts on your bracelet, Mom buttons your dress, his mom pins boutonnieres. Everyone feels special and is included in photos beyond the formals.
6. Read Tim Keller's book, "Meaning of Marriage". It is my prayer that my couples have a marriage that lasts a lifetime.
7. Donate your floral arrangements. You've carefully chosen these works of art and elegance. Let them be appreciated the week after the wedding by a local women's shelter by arranging for someone in your bridal party to deliver them.
8. Order prints of your wedding photos to use in your Thank You's. I'll deliver your gallery in an appropriate amount of time to do so. You can do so straight from your gallery link. It gives a great personal touch.
9. Have a 2-week cut off from "wedding stuff" so that you can thoroughly enjoy the moments leading up to the big day.
10. I wouldn't be a wedding photographer without adding this one...do not keep your memories sitting in files on your computer. Print your favorite images as wall art for your home to remind you of the happiness you share. You can order right from your gallery link. I also love the character of images on wood by the Texas based, family owned Smallwoodhome.com. Why I chose to be a wedding photographer...I want you be reminded of the blessing of your marriage by the image you shuffle past with a smile as you make your way to bed with the love of your life decades from now.